A lot has changed in 6 months …
This mid-year check-in on January’s 2022 Retail PEST Analysis reveals new market pressures and opportunities.
Additional market factors of note include:
- War in Ukraine
- Ocean Shipping Reform Act
- Proposed federal gas tax moratorium
- Interest rate hikes
- Recession concerns
- Stock market volatility
- Layoffs and reduced hiring
- Inflation leads to shrinkflation
- Unionization efforts
- Pressure for companies to exit Russia
- Social activism (gun safety, Roe V. Wade)
- Return to the office – and workers’ backlash
- Crypto market issues
- Rapid delivery contraction
- Drone and autonomous truck pilots
Greater uncertainty, complexity and risk abound, especially surrounding consumer spending and supply chain resilience.
What external forces would you add?
Stay tuned for a mid-year check on Retail 2022 – Porter’s 5 Forces.