7 “Go For Gold” Presentation Tips
February 11, 2014
Olympic athletes aren’t the only ones who strive to “own the podium.” Just as athletes must practice their sport to win, executives and business owners must practice public speaking to make connections and compete effectively.
Use these 7 gold medal presentation tips to win over your audience:
- Start with a clear purpose: Remind yourself why you want to speak. Build your presentation around this central idea.
- Watch the clock: Start and finish on time.
- Thrill listeners: Make your speech interesting with up to three key points, body language and vocal variety.
- Show your passion: Believe in your message. Passion is more contagious and convincing than logic.
- Keep it simple: Cut unnecessary information. Use understandable language. Tell them enough to help them do what you want them to do.
- Practice: Know your topic inside-out so your talk has a natural, conversational tone.
- Be flexible: Keep your focus on the audience. Be prepared to adapt your presentation to connect with them in a way that works for them.
What public speaking tips would you add?
Lisa Goller helps businesses tell their story. As a Toronto-based Strategic Freelance Writer & Editor, she helps executives and entrepreneurs stand out, look good and save time. Learn more at lisagoller.com