Why limit the reach of your brilliant ideas to only the people in the room? The next time you deliver a presentation at an industry conference or event, make sure your network – and target – know about it.
To increase your influence and credibility, and drive demand for your expertise, expand your reach far beyond the audience in attendance.
Use these tips to take your talk further:
Before your speech
Generate excitement by promoting your presentation on:
- Your website: Add a banner that links to the event registration
- Twitter: Tweet at least once a day for the week preceding your talk
- LinkedIn: Write a post letting people know. Also, mention it on your company page
- Facebook: Post an event message on your company page
- Your company’s newsletter, blog and email campaigns: Let your target know
- Your email signature: Let your network know
During your speech
Capture the magic while it’s happening:
- Encourage audience members to “live tweet” highlights of your presentation
- Ask the audience to use a strategic hashtag related to your talk or the event
- Request that at least one audience member takes and posts photos of you in the spotlight on Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook
- Ask someone to take a video of your performance
After your speech
Don’t just drop the mic. When your talk is done, leave a legacy behind:
- Share one-line highlights on Twitter
- Post your video on YouTube
- Post your speaker’s notes on SlideShare
- Link to your content on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook
- Email audience members highlights of your speech
- Turn the content into an article and pitch it to editors who cover your sector
- For timely topics, send an abstract to journalists and offer to be a source for their interviews
Using these tips can help you maximize the reach of your presentations. They can also help you build brand awareness for your company and your own personal expertise, leading to even more public speaking engagements.
How do you promote your presentations?
Lisa Goller helps businesses tell their story. As a Toronto-based Strategic Freelance Writer & Editor, she helps executives and entrepreneurs stand out, look good and save time. Learn more at lisagoller.com