Forget what you learned in business school. All organizations are now in the communications business – and Twitter is the new newsroom.
For that reason, CEOs need to embrace social media. Twitter alone attracts 255 million monthly active users. Business is one of the top 10 topics on Twitter, making it a key platform to reach and engage prospects and investors, and build loyalty among customers and employees.
With its 140-character messages, Twitter has forced businesses to condense their ideas into clear, concise insights. These immediate, mini stories are perfect for an increasingly mobile audience that wants to quickly grasp what’s happening right now.
For CEOs who use or are considering using Twitter, here are the top 10 topics to share:
1. Earnings information: Give analysts, investors and employees insight into your company’s financial results.
2. Employee wins: Toot your employees’ horn to enhance morale and loyalty.
3. Customer issues: Be transparent in acknowledging and triaging major issues to accelerate a resolution and build brand trust.
4. Personal interests: Love to golf, paint or cook? Let people know. Authenticity helps to build credibility and trust, so show others you’re a real, well-rounded person.
5. Employee’s tweets: Bolster employees’ confidence by retweeting their posts on topics relevant to your audience.
6. Community issues: Share your perspective on what’s going on in the community where your business is located.
7. Events: Live-tweet from industry conferences you attend or speak at to share key learnings and photos with a broader audience.
8. Promote yourself and your company: Once in a while, talk about yourself and your accomplishments. Just don’t make this topic the cornerstone of your Twitter strategy.
9: Questions: Social media, including Twitter, is all about dialogue, listening to and engaging your audience. Ask simple, straightforward questions to encourage conversation.
10. Appreciation: On Twitter, saying thank you can go a long way, especially if it’s from a CEO. For instance, thank journalists or bloggers who mention your brand.
Which topics would you add?
Lisa Goller helps businesses tell their story. As a Toronto-based Strategic Freelance Writer & Editor, she helps executives and entrepreneurs stand out, look good and save time. Learn more at lisagoller.com
Build a Brilliant Business Blog
Boost Your Social Media Strategy ROI
Case Study: Social Media for a Media-Shy Company
Hanson, Arik. “14 things your CEO should share on Twitter.” Ragan.com. March 13, 2014.
Kee, Steve. “Traditional and Social Media Trends – AB Flooding.” Insurance Bureau of Canada. August. 2013.
Nanji, Ayaz. “The top 10 topics on Facebook and Twitter.” Ragan.com. June 19, 2014.
5 thoughts on “CEOs’ Top 10 Twitter Topics”