Timeless Strategic Writing Tips
September 24, 2013
Whether we write for the web or print, copywriting is about understanding your audience and addressing its needs.
That’s why these century-old copywriting tips are still valid today:
- Focus on benefits: Tell your target why they need your product or service
- Listen closely: Understand your audience’s needs so you know how to fulfill them
- Skip the Shakespeare: Use simple words and short sentences to make your text clear
- Be believable: Write testimonials as stories in which you solved a problem
- Build credibility: Use specific details and exact numbers to support your messages
- Write with enthusiasm: Become a fascinated expert, write fast and with passion, then edit to make the copy clear and concise.
- Ask for action: Identify your call to action (which strategically aligns with your business objective), then write copy that persuades readers to do what you ask of them
Lisa Goller helps businesses tell their story. As a Toronto-based Strategic Freelance Writer & Editor, she helps executives and entrepreneurs stand out, look good and save time. Learn more at lisagoller.com
Duistermaat, Henneke. Web-writing tips from 7 legendary copywriters, Ragan.com, September 23, 2013